What a bloody week, indeed! I feel I’ve neglected my blog over the past week and seeing as I’m new to blogging, it’s not a very good start. Every night I’ve thought I really need to write another post, but I’ve either been too busy or absolutely exhausted!
Firstly there was our living room… As you may know from my ‘From Fish to Sofa’ post, we recently ordered a new sofa. Our new sofa is considerably larger than our current sofa. This meant we had to rearrange our living room. This included the fireplace. Luckily, our fireplace is an all-in-one electric fire so if you remove the two screws for either side the whole fireplace, surround and all, simply lifts away from the wall. That was the easy part. The problem is the gaping whole left in the wall behind it from when it was a real fire. We are still to resolve this issue!
We also had to move our TV to another wall which meant moving our Sky box. The leads from the satellite dish were nowhere near long enough to go around the two doors that were now between them and the new location for the TV. Sky themselves charge a ridiculous amount to relocate your Sky box so this was not an option. Instead, I found an extension kit on trusty old Amazon for a mere £8.99. This was perfect as it came with an 10m twin cable (required to record one thing and watch another), 4 male plugs for either end, a male to male connector to connect the two leads together and even 10 twin cable clips to secure it to the wall. It was perfect; it was more than enough length and it hasn’t effected the signal or quality at all. After I had accomplished all this I was feeling rather manly, I’m not used to dong manual work so it was rather satisfying. So with our TV, current sofa and fireplace in a different place it looks like a different living room, and much bigger I must add. We now eagerly await the arrival of our sofa. Only another 4 weeks to go! I think I could make one quicker on my own!
The next project was the garden. We have a very long garden and we have a terrible habit of tidying it up and then leaving it for months rather than keeping on top if it. It had been months since we sorted it out so it was starting to resemble a jungle. Now this is how manly I am, Holly cut the grass and pulled out all the weeds from the borders around the garden while I stayed in and watched the kids! We eventually decided that we both needed to crack on so the mother-in-law kindly had the kids for us and then we went to the local DIY store and picked up lots of bark (or wood chips, whatever takes your fancy). When we got back we moved the huge trampoline, in order to cut the grass under it, and placed it over the part of the path that is broken. The path runs straight up the length of the garden, and is cracked and loose near the house which isn’t very good for our little people. Seeing the trampoline over the broken part of the path gave us a brilliant idea… Let’s leave it there and dig a path around it!
On that note, and still feeling rather manly from my DIY work in the living room, I impulsively rammed the shovel into the grass and started digging a semi-circular path around the trampoline and back to the part of concrete path that is still ok. I really got stuck in and managed to finish it within a few hours (trust me, this is amazing for an IT geek like me, a real accomplishment)! We then filled it with some of the bark we bought and stepped back… It looked bloody brilliant! I was really chuffed with all my hard work! Knowing my newly found skill, we have now decided to create a complete semi-circle (rather than just a path) over the other side of the garden to put our table and chairs on. I think I will do this in a few weeks!
While the above two tasks were rather tiring and physical, the thing that has exhausted me the most this week is completing my wedding anniversary present for Holly. Previously I have either created a photo book online or written a poem (in fact, that’s it as there have only been 2!). This time I went one better and wrote a complete song. I’ve tried making songs before but I have never managed to fully complete one, I usually record one verse, maybe a chorus, then move on to something else. This time, however, I was determined to finish it and finish it I did.
It was our 3rd wedding anniversary yesterday (yes, independence day, ironic I know) and after staying up late for numerous nights and nearly waking the kids up from singing at the top of my voice to record it, I finally showed Holly. She loved it, or at least loved the fact that somebody had written her a song! I’m really pleased with it as it means I’ve finally finished a song…
So with all of the above, plus the massive, time critical project at work that was unknowingly dropped on us last week (I’m not even going in to that), the last week and a half has been extremely productive but equally exhausting.